Receptionist and Office Administrative Assistant
The Church Secretary serves in a role of church ministry that allows the daily operations of ministry to function with greater effectiveness. The general functions include: phone and office reception, desktop publishing, scheduling, calendaring, printing, copying, and general office management.
- Clear testimony of personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- A self-starter with motivation to follow through with limited supervision.
- Enthusiastic about ministry and ability to communicate a positive attitude within the office, with visitors, and with fellow staff.
- A team player who publically supports the ministry of fellow church employees and deals with staff conflict by reporting first to Senior Pastor and secondly to the Personnel Committee.
- Vision, energy, and passion for implementing the vision of First Baptist Jackson into a tangible strategy with monitored results.
- Meets the requirements as stated under the education section.
- A member of a church in good standing.
- Lives an exemplary Christ-like life before those he/she serves.
- Maintains appropriate dress and keeps workspace neat.
High School diploma required.
Church staff members are expected to serve the needs of the ministry without compulsion and with joy. The hours of employment for non-ministerial staff members will be negotiated with the Senior Pastor. A regular plan of office and “off” time will be made with the Senior Pastor (unless delegated to associate minister).
- Serve as receptionist to the office for visitors as well as all phone calls
- Coordinate all requests coming into the office
- Order literature for all of the organizations, e.g. Sunday School, missions, music, as needed and assist the same organizations with the ordering of supplies
- Take care of the daily mail for the office and maintain postage meter and postal suppliesAssist the committees as needed to help them complete their ministries including creating listings and mailings
- Serve as secretary for the Minister of Students and Missions, Minister of Worship and Media, and Minister of Senior Adults. This will include, but not be limited to, personal correspondence, contacting of church members, and assisting with info for special programs such as camps, retreats and trips
- Compile, update, and keep accurate church records for membership, mailings, outreach and all church ministries. Request and send church letters for new members and keep baptismal records. Prepare the church letter for reporting to the Southern Baptist Convention
- Update and keep the records and reports for the ministries of the church including choirs, missions, and discipleship
- Keep current and correct prospect information updating as new prospects are found or visit the church. Contact Sunday School workers about prospects and update their books as necessary. Be the secretary for the outreach program of the church
- Assist the Minister of Worship and Media with the church calendar. This will include the scheduling or room usage including outside events like marriages, receptions, and funerals
- Oversee work load of the office by helping coordinate the work of secretaries, reviewing equipment usage and needs and ordering office supplies.
- Prepare Wednesday and Sunday Prayer Sheets
- Track the usage of the vans and coordinate their usage to support the ministries of the church
- Serve as a notary as needed for church ministries if so licensed
- Work with the other church secretaries as needed to ensure the effectiveness of the ministry of the church
- Thorough working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Publisher as well as general data entry
- Experience with Fellowship One or Shelby Systems church management software and Quickbooks financial software are a plus
- Lead the other church staff to update computers and programs as needed. Perform regular back ups and keep the backup disc off site. Good organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with and under the direction of others
- Create and maintain a job procedures manual containing a copy of the employee’s job description. a detailed process for completing each of your job tasks, and your job schedules
Fellowship One/Shelby Systems/Quickbooks/Microsoft Office including Word, Publisher and Excel/Photoshop/Church Media Software
Joy for serving Warmth/Friendliness/Flexibility/Energy
Understand that based on church size and resources, additional duties may be assigned by the Senior Pastor or Church Administrator.
RESPONSIBLE TO: The Senior Pastor (Or delegated staff minister)